The last requirement in the volunteer sign-up process – a background check – applies to some but not all CASP volunteers.
- When it’s not needed
If you don’t intend to be working alone with our asylum-seeking guests, you do not need a background check. However, you do need to write to email@example.com to state that explicitly. When you’ve done that, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your Contact list, and you’ve completed the sign-up process!
- When it is needed
If you expect to ever be working alone with one or more of our asylum-seeking guests, a background check is required. However, you may have already had a background check for another organization which will meet CASP’s requirements.
- If you’ve already had a background check, write to email@example.com to find out if it will suffice.
- If you have not had one done previously, you’ll need to arrange for one. One convenient tool is backgroundreport.com, which works as follows:
- Click here, which will open their website on a new tab, allowing you to return here at any time to see the rest of the instructions.
- Create an account.
- You will receive an emailed confirmation with a link to their sign-in page.
- Sign in.
- Select the $19.95 Basic Search. (The billing name on your card statement will be e-Renter USA. If you wish, CASP will reimburse you.)
- Enter the required information.
- When your background report is ready (often within minutes), you will receive an emailed notification.
- Click on the link provided in the email.
- Click on the “View Reports” button.
- Click on the “Continue Order” button.
- Click on the “Download Report” button.
- Save your report to a convenient place on your computer.
- Attach the report to an email addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org, and send it in.
If you’d like to discuss the contents of your report or if you need help navigating the report website, feel free to contact email@example.com.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email Contact list. This will help ensure that mail from the Volunteer Coordinator gets delivered to you (rather than ending up in your spam folder)!