The last requirement in the volunteer sign-up process – a background check – applies to some but not all CASP volunteers.
- When it’s not needed
If you don’t intend to be working alone with our asylum-seeking guests, you do not need a background check. However, you do need to write to firstname.lastname@example.org to state that explicitly. When you’ve done that, you have completed the volunteer sign-up process!
- When it is needed
If you expect to ever be working alone with one or more of our asylum-seeking guests, a background check is required. However, you may have already had a background check for another organization which will meet CASP’s requirements.
- If you’ve already had a background check, write to email@example.com to find out if it will suffice.
- If you have not had one done previously, you’ll need to arrange for one. One convenient tool is backgroundreport.com, which works as follows:
- Click here to go to their website.
- Create an account.
- Select the $19.95 Basic Search. (The billing name on your card statement will be e-Renter USA. If you wish, CASP will reimburse you.)
- When your background report is ready, you will receive an emailed notification.
- Click on the link provided in the email.
- Click on the “View Report” button.
- Click on the “Download Report” button.
- Save your report to a convenient place on your computer.
- Attach the report to an email addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org, and send it in.
If you’d like to discuss the contents of your report or if you need help navigating the report website, feel free to contact email@example.com.
IMPORTANT: Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email Contact list. This will help ensure that mail from the Volunteer Coordinator gets delivered to you (rather than getting diverted to your spam folder)!