If you would like to volunteer in person with our asylum-seeking guests, then read on. If not, just add firstname.lastname@example.org to your Contacts, and your sign-up is complete!
To work in person with our guests, you’ll need to:
- attend or watch the CASP Volunteer Training Sessions
If you miss the videoconferencing sessions, you can watch the recordings online. (You would need to write to email@example.com for the links.)
- satisfy Vermont OSHA (VOSHA) requirements regarding COVID-19
During the COVID-19 pandemic, all workers – including volunteers – who work in person with others are required to read the VOSHA training manual (available here). To certify that you have done so, fill in the last page, save the file to your computer, and email it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, on each day you work in person with others, you’ll need to fill out a health questionnaire (available here) before going to work. CASP will receive the completed questionnaire electronically when you press the Submit button.
- submit a background report
For staff and volunteers who work directly with guests, CASP requires a national criminal background report. It can be either a very recent report arranged for a different organization or a new report for CASP.
A convenient tool for this purpose is backgroundreport.com, using their “Basic Search.” The charge is $19.95, a cost which you can either cover or request CASP to cover. (To be reimbursed, send the Expense Reimbursement Form to CASP, 44 School Street Extension, Bellows Falls, VT 05101.) Their report will be sent to you for you to review and forward to CASP. If you feel that the report would unjustly disqualify you, you can get in touch to discuss it.
To use backgroundreport.com:
- Click here, which will open their website in a new tab, allowing you to return here at any time to see the rest of the instructions.
- Create an account.
- You will receive an emailed confirmation with a link to their sign-in page.
- Sign in.
- Select the $19.95 Basic Search. (The billing name on your card statement will be e-Renter USA.)
- Enter the required information.
- When your background report is ready (often within minutes), you will receive an emailed notification.
- Click on the link provided in the email.
- Click on the “View Reports” button.
- Click on the “Continue Order” button.
- Click on the “Download Report” button.
- Save your report to a convenient place on your computer.
- Attach the report to an email, and send it to email@example.com.
IMPORTANT: To help ensure that mail from the Volunteer Coordinator gets through to you, be sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your Contacts.